Django and Flask are the most popular Python web frameworks that help developers build web applications as quickly as possible with less code. Here in this tutorial, we discuss the difference between these frameworks. Let’s get insights and choose either Django or Flask, best on the project requirement.
What are Frameworks in Python?
Frameworks are the collection of packages or related modules that are designed to fasten the development of projects and reduce time-to-market with enhanced performance.
Slogan: The web framework for perfectionists with deadlines.
Django is a full-stack Python web framework that encourages rapid development with clean, and pragmatic design. It is free and open-source that takes care of much of the difficulty of web development. It focuses on building better web apps quickly with less code.
Features of Django
- It helps developers to transform project concepts into a working prototype as quickly as possible.
- It is fully loaded with features like user authentication, content administration, site maps, and many more.
- It protects web apps from many common security threats like SQL injection, cross-site request forgery, and clickjacking.
- It is a versatile framework that could be used in Content management systems (CMS), building social networks, and scientific computing platforms.
Official site: djangoproject.com
Slogan: web development, one drop at a time
Flask is a lightweight Python micro-web framework that was developed by Armin Ronacher in 2010. It was voted as the most popular web framework in the Python Developers Survey 2018. It has the second most stars on Github among all Python web frameworks after Django. It is also a free and open-source framework that depends on the Jinja template engine and the Werkzeug WSGI toolkit.
Features of Flask
- It is easy to learn as it has less base code to implement and the syntax is more clear.
- It doesn’t require particular tools or libraries.
- It supports RESTful request dispatching and is compatible with Google App Engine.
Official site: flask.palletsprojects.com
Difference between Django and Flask
Highlights of differences between Django and Flask are:
|Full functionalities, battery included||Bare-bones framework, simple, and lightweight|
|Build apps much faster||Build apps from scratch or import functions from 3rd parties|
|Require a steeper learning curve||Easy to learn|
|Uses PATH function to handle routing||Straightforward routing by using route() decorator|
|Major projects: Bitbucket, Disqus, Instagram||Major projects: Netflix, Pinterest, Uber, Linkedin|